Sunday, October 7, 2012

How to move Wordpress database from ISP to Synology DS112+.


I had Wordpress application installed to ISP server and I want to move it to my own DS112+ server. I had Wordpress 3.3 at ISP and Wordpress 3.4 at my own server. Because its my private blog, I dont have any comments, so task was even easier.

After studing database structure and data in both databases it came out that there is only one table wp_posts with important data for me. So moving data from one wordpress server to another consisted from following steps:
  1. In DS112+ delete example data from wp_posts and wp_comments
  2. In ISP server export wp_posts to external file with phpmyadmin
  3. In DS112+ import same file to wordpress database (wordpressblog) with phpmyadmin 
There is one issue to keep in mind: wp_posts has reference to wp_users, so you must have wp_users with same id-s in both databases.

I need additionally configure layout and additional plugins with Wordpress dashboard, but its really simple and straightforward task.

No comments:

Post a Comment